Saturday, March 15, 2008

Hector The Bug

We made a new friend today. A bug. His name is Hector. We found him meandering through the canvas box that stores our construction vehicles. He didn't have an answer for why he was snooping through our stuff. Tai King remarked on how very, very, very, very, small Hector was and that he seemed nice. Upon further reflection though, Tai King declared Hector 'a scary bug'. I quite easily persuaded him to believe that Hector was actually a friend, and that he merely wanted to join us for lunch. Hmmm, what do very, very, very, very small bugs eat? Banana and bacon? We thought so. Hector seemed quite comfortable in the small plastic tub that we coerced him into. And he did munch on the banana and bacon. Tai King added a green popsicle stick to Hector's home, to serve as a staircase, a teeter-totter, or an escape ramp. We drew some pictures of other bugs for Hector, in case he was missing his friends in Bug Land. Hector crawled around on the 'map' that Tai King drew for him, while Oi Ying ate the bug picture that I had drawn. Tai King also did the Yo Gabba Gabba banana dance for Hector. Hector liked it. So did Oi Ying. We all enjoyed it. After the banana dance, we decided to assault Hector with questions. Where did he come from? Was his name really Hector? Or was it Vince? What do bugs drink? Where are his friends? Where is Bug Land? Hector had nothing to say, and shared no secrets. We left him alone for awhile, but later gave him some Easter candy and told him that we liked him.

Thank you my concerned Tai King, for offering me birthday cake to make me feel better. You lift me up. And thank you, little Foxy for the many Kissy Kisses. I love your soft and furry round nose.

15 comments:

Run ANC said...

What kind of bug was it? Me no likey bugs so much, even if they have cutie names like Hector.

(Isn't your birthday in April? Am I such a bad friend that I've mistaken that?? My mind is a sieve. I blame the kids.)

Christine said...

welcome to the blogosphere! great place you have here and i'm glad nomo sent me this way.

Running on empty

Beck said...

I'm here from Nomo's, too - and the C.S. Lewis quote at the top of your page instantly grabbed me. Welcome to the blogland! I hope you have fun.

Emily said...

A teaching moment. It sounds like you took full advantage of it.

Don Mills Diva said...

Hi - here via no mother earth - welcome to the blogosphere - beware it is addictive!

Gabriella said...

Hi! Also here via Nomo, welcome! And like DMD said it is truly addicting!

Mad said...

Welcome. Any friend of NoMo's is a friend of mine. And from what I understand, you're another theatre person. Cool.

We have a Hector at our house. He's an elephant.

BlocksofStone said...

Oh, wow!! I'm literally shaking. I'm always startled when I'm acknowledged. Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I'm sort of speechless...

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Welcome to Blogland! I love bugs with names. Less squishable, that way...

Here from Nomotherearth...

metro mama said...

Hello, and welcome to the blogosphere!

motherbumper said...

Well seriously, who doesn't enjoy a Yo Gabba Gabba induced Banana Dance - certainly not me! And I hang with many bugs - so I know this kinda stuff.

painted maypole said...

Welcome. nomotherearth has sent me here, and her description alone probably would have done it, but another blogging mother and thespian? well. we are practically kin.

Kyla said...

Here from Nomo's, too. I love your C.S. Lewis quote.

Her Bad Mother said...

My small person befriended a bug - a flying beetle that wasn't doing much flying - last weekend. It was lovely, much to my surprise. Usually, I hate bugs, but this one, he was cool. ANd the child liked him, so...

(came over via nomo... nice to meet you...)

Sandra said...

A belated welcome to the blogosphere. Looking forward to reading you (nomotherearth has spectacular taste).